Monday, August 14, 2006

Foods That Have High Fructose Corn Syrup

It is difficult to avoid products containing High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is why the average American is consuming over 40 pounds of it every year. In most cases, an alternative product can be found but it is usually more expensive (organic, for example).

Check the ingredients on many products. Corn syrup is showing up everywhere:
  • Jelly: Smucker's, Welch's, other
  • Syrup: Aunt Jemima Original Syrup, Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth's, other fake syrups
  • Soda: Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, 7Up, Dr. Pepper, etc. - nearly all
  • Power Drinks: Gatorade, Powerade
  • Juice:
    • Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail
    • Capri Sun Drinks- almost all High Fructose Corn Syrup with a little pear juice
    • Minute Maid Products
    • Most "fruit drinks"
  • Barbeque Sauces
  • Bread (nearly all high-volume brands)
  • Flavored Mustard
  • Ketchup
  • Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
  • Salad Dressing
  • Ice Cream (any cheap store brand)
  • Pickles
  • Frozen and refrigerated products aimed at kids:
    • popsicles
    • ice cream treats
    • juice boxes
  • Candy
    • M&Ms
    • Caramels
    • Twizzlers
    • Lollipops
    • Hard candies
    • Gummy Bears
    • GumBalls
    • Jelly Beans
For a more complete list, click HERE

Note: Brands are trademarked and owned by the brand owners

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Katie Lyn said...

I have decided to read every label and NOT consume HFCS! I was SHOCKED and dismayed when I put a bite of Total Breakfast cereal in my mouth and tasted that nasty vile serum. I have gotten good at detecting it although I had no idea that they were putting it in bread and similar materials.

I'm hoping to drop a dress size or 10 by Christmas by not eating HFCS. Being sugar addicted is difficult, but this is ONE area of my life where I have a passion for non consumption. And yes, I stopped drinking Pepsi last week after I figured out that I could drink 2- 2liter bottles and not even feel full. After I consume HFCS, I notice that I am hungry and even after eating a meal I am still hungry.

Go Figure.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently wrote this letter to the Corn Refiners Association in response to their HFCS ads. I know first hand about the ubiquitous nature of not only corn syrup, but all corn derivatives. My son is allergic to all corn derivatives, and I'm sick of finding corn in everything!

"I am writing this letter to the Corn Refiners Association in response to the “Sweet Surprise” advertising campaign.

My husband and I have two sons. My oldest, Alex developed allergies and sensitivities to some foods as he grew. We monitored and modified his diet and environment as he became older, but as he reached 2 years of age, he became very sick with frightening physical and emotional symptoms.

We finally discovered that Alex was suffering from severe food allergies. However, it took me months to discover what food. He was reacting to almost everything he ate, every day. I finally discovered the culprit. It was corn. I had never heard of a corn allergy, and I certainly didn’t realize that some form of corn was in nearly every item in our home.

It has been over a year now that we have been avoiding corn. It has completely changed our lives. We no longer eat out, and I make many things myself from powdered sugar to play dough. I learned to shop on the internet, local farm stands, and health food stores for safe foods, and can no longer just drop into the local supermarket. I bring my list of safe foods carefully researched by a diligent online group which can be found on the Avoiding Corn forum on Delphi Forums.

I recently saw the “Sweet Surprise” ad on television and in a magazine. It was so disheartening to see these ads. I’m not a food chemist, and so can not respond to the allegation that high fructose corn syrup is “just like” cane sugar or honey, but I can comment on the ubiquitous nature of corn in our lives. It is absurd to even offer that corn syrup is “OK in moderation”. There is no way to limit corn syrup to “moderation” in the Standard American Diet. In the blogging community this topic frequently comes up even among people without food allergies. Finding one loaf of bread without corn in the bread aisle of a regular grocery store is impossible.

Corn hides behind hundreds of different names, and you don’t know if there really is corn in an item until you call the manufacturer, and sometimes they don’t know themselves. There is even corn in the inactive ingredients of the majority of medicines, even allergy medicines! I know that I am not alone in asking that corn not only be labeled clearly, but to put an end to the ubiquitous nature of corn in our lives.

It is time for the monoculture of corn to end. This “Sweet Surprise” campaign is transparent as a last ditch attempt to save the omnipresent corn monoculture, but we are not going to buy it. Please recognize that it is time to diversify, it is time to label what is going into our foods, medicines, and products. It is time for people like my son to have a chance to find healthy food to eat."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home